Friday, November 18, 2011

I don’t want to grow up, I’m … made in China?


Do you remember that commercial? About being a Toys R Us kid? I do. My quest brought me to Toys R Us this week. Honestly, I wasn’t surprised that most of the toys there are made in China. I felt a little weird picking up so many boxes and looking on the bottom. But I did it. Not every toy though ( I don’t have endless time to spend there looking at toys). I had a coupon so I just decided to get most of my haul there. It was challenging though. Here are the brands that stood out:
A+ -BriarPatch. They make mostly board and card games. They are made in the USA! I bought my three year old a Good Night Moon board game. A bonus is that it was made from recycled paper products.
A -Playmobil. Made in Germany.
A- - Legos. They mostly manufacture these quality plastic blocks in Mexico, Denmark, Hungary and the Czech Republic. They get an A- because they do manufacture certain parts in China. Keep an eye on the Duplo Legos, those are the ones that often have parts made in China.
B - Crayola. Many of their products are made in the US. I like that. Some of their more plastic products are made in China though. You have to read the packaging on every product.
Honorable mention: Hasbro makes some of its products in the US. Like the Guess Who game (it is a classic folks). I will be getting that for my boys next year.
I’m sure that by now you have noticed something about these products. They ain’t cheap. It costs a little more sometimes to buy goods that aren’t made in China. On the other hand, you are more likely to see some of that money again. But that’s for another post. (Hint: trade deficit)

No comments: